Magento 2.4.2 Release Notes – Things you Need to Know
The right balance between the development process and improving the usability of the platform is maintained via Magento updates. Since the e-commerce industry has grown this year, there are high expectations for this release. Improvements to performance, security, and platform have been prioritized in Magento 2.4.2.
Significant platform improvements, as well as speed and security improvements, are included in Magento Open Source 2.4.2. The addition of support for the SameSite property for all cookies is one security improvement. Redis 6.x and Elasticsearch 7.9.x are now supported.
Let us summarize the new release for you:
Date of Magento 2.4.2’s release
On February 9, 2021, Magento 2.4.2 was released.
Good news for all Magento store owners and developers: Magento 2.4.2 version fixes over 280 GitHub bugs, includes over 280 new fixes for core code and adds over 30 noteworthy security improvements.
Additionally, the security enhancements pertaining to the extension to enable the Same Site attribute for all cookies are described in full in Magento’s Open Source 2.4.2 release notes. It also detailed the support for Redis 6.x and Elasticsearch 7.9.x in this release note.
Above all, the Magento 2.4.2 update aims to offer strong improvements to all Magento store owners to raise their store conversion rates and provide clients with a better shopping experience.
What has been updated in Magento 2.4.2?
The development platform is improved by the newest version, which focuses on performance and security enhancement. People’s attitudes toward online buying have altered as a result of the pandemic, prompting Magento to release a new version. The retailers can now benefit from new changes in the e-commerce industry thanks to Magento developers.
The following new features are included in this release that will help the Magento development process:
Over 35 security improvements have been made in Magento 2.4.2 to fix RCE and XSS flaws. This upgrade is regarded as the most amazing for Magento store owners. Thankfully, there aren’t any attacks related to these problems, but you still need to install this security update to prevent undesired dangers that male actors might take advantage of.
Remembering that each of these problems needs administrator access, it is best to secure your backend area with 2-factor authentication, an IP whitelist, a VPN, a strong password, and a separate administrative address.
Other security upgrades comprise:
- All core cookies support the SameSite property.
- Through communications, you will be able to spot potentially harmful content, and an alarm will show up.
- Fix any violations of the Core Content Security Policy (CSP)
Core quality has been improved in Magento 2.4.2 Commerce and Open Source editions. They enhance the framework’s quality in various functional areas, including:
- Client Account
- Checkout and Cart
- Preview and Staging
Customers can now add and remove items from comparison lists thanks to new comparison list support.
The customer object has been changed such that remote purchase help is now supported by the generateCustomerTokenAdmin.
Unions may be supported by the Magento GraphQL.
The schema has been enhanced to enhance the retrieval of product data for setting the items with many variants.
It now supports a variety of currencies and languages with the new edition.
With its new extensibility architecture, modifications made with the extensions are supported.
Features like Saved Payment Methods, Order History, Wishlist, and Address Book are available in some My Account components.
The Magento 2.4.2 version supports the following platforms:
- Versions 6.x and 6.4 of Varnish are still compatible.
- Redis 6.x and Redis 5.x are still compatible.
- Still compatible with Elasticsearch 7.9.x
- Composer 1.x, which is going to expire, is still compatible with Composer 2.x.
You should also be aware that the split database feature has been discontinued. You must go back or select just one item if you continue to use this feature.
The API’s performance has been improved with the introduction of this release. The admin’s reaction time is also quicker. Additionally, Magento 2.4.2 allows 20 times more complicated categories than previously thanks to significant scalability improvements.
The MSI (Multi-Source Inventory) inventory management system enables retailers to select the physical inventory locations that will enable customers from pickup locations. Customers can use this service to locate a local location to pick up their purchases during the checkout process.
Other Updates to Platform
- While 7.1 and 7.2 have been deprecated, PHP 7.4 is still supported.
- The PHP unit 6.5 is no longer supported and PHP 9.x is.
- Version 2.x has been deleted from the search engine’s default catalog, ElasticSearch 7.6x, while versions 5.x and 6.x have been deprecated.
- Now that MySQL 8.6 is supported, 5.6 has been retired.
- There is no longer a MySQL catalog search engine.
- The main Singnifyd Fraud Protection code integration has been removed.
- Additionally, Braintree’s integration is eliminated.
- Added enhancements
- There are no longer any third-party payment options.
- The Magento store must be installed and upgraded using a combined line.
- The update in composer is carried out automatically.
- Performance improvements have been made to Redis.
- Execute rapid orders and cart reorders.
In this article, we have covered the key highlights of the Magento 2.4.2 version. To get the most out of the e-commerce platform, update the store with the most recent version. To take advantage of this release and make your online shop a better environment for consumers and developers, get in touch with a Magento development company.